These delicious asparagus tacos feature fluffy scrambled eggs with ricotta cheese, grilled asparagus, and a creamy chive yogurt sauce.
Ok, we know asparagus tacos sounds a little unusual, but hear us out! This springtime fusion taco recipe is incredibly delicious and was a hearty and simple dinner recipe for the two of us. It would also be perfect as a spring brunch! To accessorize with the asparagus, we made fluffy scrambled eggs mixed with ricotta cheese, which are extremely tasty in their own right! Then to balance it all out, a creamy chive yogurt sauce makes it worthy of messy taco goodness. Even without traditional Mexican flavors like cumin and cilantro it can hold its own, and would make for a lovely spring brunch, lunch, or dinner.
The technique for cooking asparagus for these asparagus tacos is one of our favorites we’ve found so far: cooking them in a grill pan! It involves no oil or butter: you just cook the asparagus spears in a dry pan and then add water to steam them while cooking. With a few pinches of kosher salt, the spears are tender and delicious. Another serving idea for the dish is to skip the tacos and just serve ricotta scrambled eggs with asparagus and chive yogurt sauce: this would be another great brunch option.
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 handful chives (2 tablespoons chopped)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 corn tortillas
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Wash the asparagus and chop it into 1-½ inch pieces. In a dry skillet over medium-high heat, cook the asparagus, stirring occasionally. After 3 minutes, add ¼ cup water and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Taste a piece, and continue to cook until the thickest pieces are tender. Optional: prepare a bowl of ice cold water, and place the cooked asparagus in the ice water for 1 minute (this keeps the asparagus bright green, helpful when preparing in advance).
- Chop the chives. Mix the chives with the Greek yogurt and a scant ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Add small amounts of water (up to 4 tablespoons) until a creamy consistency is reached.
- Drain the ricotta cheese of any excess liquid. In a medium bowl, crack the eggs and whisk them together until well-beaten. Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and plenty of fresh ground black pepper.
- In a skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Tilt the pan to ensure the entire pan is coated in the melted butter, the pour in the eggs. Keep the heat on medium low. When the eggs just start to set, use a flat spatula to slowly scrape sections of eggs, creating folds. Scrape occasionally until the eggs form soft folds; turn off the heat just before they are fully hardened. Add dabs of ricotta cheese and a few pinches of kosher salt. Mix in the cheese roughly while the heat is off, then remove the eggs to a bowl to avoid overcooking.
- To serve, place the scrambled eggs on a tortilla and top with asparagus spears and yogurt chive sauce.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/ricotta-scrambled-egg-and-asparagus-tacos/