This roasted vegetable bowl is a hearty vegetarian meal, featuring Moroccan spices, whole grain freekah, and a tangy lemon drizzle.
One of the secrets we’ve learned in our pursuit of cooking is that it’s really just a series of simple techniques. Once you know a few of the basics, you’ll see them repeated in all sorts of future recipes that you make. For today’s roasted vegetable bowl recipe, we wanted to go back to the uber-basics and talk about one of our favorite simple techniques: roasting vegetables.
This roasted vegetable grain bowl stars our absolute favorite roasted veg: cauliflower, sweet potato, and red onion, mixed with Moroccan spices. We couldn’t resist using purple cauliflower from our local farmer’s market; it was too pretty not to buy!
For the roasted vegetables
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 red onion
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (2 to 3 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the freekeh
- 1 1/2 cups freekeh (or substitute quinoa)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the lemon yogurt and garnish* (for vegan, use Lemon Tahini Sauce)
- 7 ounces Greek yogurt (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice plus zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (roasted and salted, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Roast the vegetables: Slice the cauliflower in half, then chop it into florets. Peel the onion and slice it into 1/2 to 3/4-inch slices. Cut the sweet potato into small cubes, about 1/2-inch by 1/2-inch. Mince the garlic. Place all vegetables in a large bowl and mix with the olive oil, cumin, coriander, allspice, cayenne, kosher salt, and black pepper. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then pour the vegetables onto the baking sheet. Roast until tender and slightly browned, about 35 minutes (no need to stir).
- Meanwhile, make the freekeh: place 3 3/4 cups water and the kosher salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the freekah and bring to a simmer, then simmer gently for 20 minutes. Let stand to steam, covered, for 5 minutes prior to serving.
- Make the lemon yogurt: Mix the Greek yogurt with lemon juice, lemon zest, 1/4 cup water, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Serve the grain bowl: Roughly chop the almonds and parsley. To serve, spoon freekah and vegetables into a bowl, and garnish with yogurt sauce, almonds and parsley.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/roasted-fall-vegetable-grain-bowl-with-lemon-yogurt/