You won’t believe the flavor in these Mexican sweet potatoes, topped with black bean salsa and creamy cilantro sauce!
Meet our favorite meal: the baked sweet potato. Alex and I have been eating this meal since the very beginning of our marriage, when we decided we wanted to start cooking more vegetables. At the time, I had myself convinced that I didn’t like sweet potatoes, mainly due to bad connotations with marshmallow goo on holidays. But I gave them another chance with these Mexican sweet potatoes, and our sweet potato obsession was born.
These Mexican sweet potatoes are the perfect blend of sweet and savory. The spicy black bean salsa is the perfect complement to the light sweetness of the potato, and topped with creamy cilantro sauce, it’s a little bit of heaven. And 100% whole food plant based (WFPB), too!
How to make Mexican sweet potatoes
This recipe uses our Quick Baked Sweet Potato method, which makes them intensely flavorful. And we’ve used one of our favorite tricks to cut down the cooking time: cut the sweet potatoes in half before roasting! Rub a tiny amount of olive oil and a sprinkle of kosher salt onto the potatoes before popping into the oven. Depending on the size of the potato, it cuts down the roasting to about 25 to 35 minutes, instead of 45 minutes to 60 minutes.
You won’t believe the flavor in these Mexican sweet potatoes, topped with black bean pico de gallo and creamy cilantro sauce!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- Olive oil, for rubbing
- Kosher salt
- 1 recipe Black Bean Salsa
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- Creamy Cilantro Sauce or Creamy Cilantro Dressing, to serve (plus a few extra cilantro leaves)
- Mexican hot sauce (such as Cholula), to serve
- Other topping ideas: Sour cream, Mexican Crema, cheese, Vegan Nacho Cheese, Vegan Sour Cream, Cashew Cream, or Chipotle Sauce
- Start soaking the cashews for the Creamy Cilantro Sauce (or make it in advance; you can also soak the cashews the night before for easy day-of prep). If you’re planning to make the Creamy Cilantro Dressing, skip this part.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and slice them in half. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and rub lightly with olive oil, just enough to coat. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake until tender and lightly browned on the edges, about 25 to 35 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Make the Black Bean Pico de Gallo.
- Defrost the frozen corn.
- Make the Creamy Cilantro Sauce (or Creamy Cilantro Dressing). Save out a few cilantro leaves and chop the cilantro for a garnish.
- To serve, top the roasted sweet potatoes with Black Bean Pico de Gallo, corn kernels, cilantro, and dollops of Creamy Cilantro Sauce.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/mexican-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/