This crowd-pleasing grilled vegetable pasta has double the grilled veggies: they’re grilled for the pasta and to blend into the zesty romesco sauce!
So, this grilled vegetable pasta! Alex and I wanted to bring that smoky grilled flavor to a vegetarian main dish. Oddly, after 8 years of eating mostly plants we’ve never grilled veggies and mixed them into pasta. I guess there are always new things to discover! The fun thing about this recipe is that there are two grilled components: veggies for the vegetable pasta, and bell peppers for the grilled romesco sauce.
What is romesco? Romesco is sauce made of roasted peppers and almonds that originates from Spain. Usually when we make it we use jarred red peppers. But for this recipe we thought: why not grill the red peppers to create a grilled romesco? It makes a creamy bright red sauce for the lightly smoky and addicting grilled vegetable pasta. Top it with feta crumbles, or leave it off for a vegan vegetable pasta. Here we used linguine noodles, but you can use penne or other short shapes. We’ll definitely be eating this grilled vegetable pasta all through the summer!
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 large heads of broccoli
- 1/2 medium to large red onion
- 3 tablespoons SimplyNature Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon plus a few pinches kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup Southern Grove Oven Roasted Unsalted Almonds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 15-ounce can Happy Harvest Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Stonemill Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Stonemill Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 pound SimplyNature Organic Pasta (linguine or penne, or gluten-free pasta if desired, for example the liveGfree line)
- 2 to 4 ounces Happy Farms Preferred Feta, optional
- Grill the vegetables: Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Cut off the tops off of the peppers and remove the pith and seeds. Remove the stems from the top and cut the top in half, then quarter the bottoms. Cut the broccoli into bite-sized florets. Cut the onion into thick slices. Coat vegetables lightly with about 1 tablespoon olive oil and a few pinches of kosher salt. Use your hands to rub the olive oil into the veggies so they are lightly coated.
- Place a few sheets of foil to cover the entire grill (or use a grill basket). Poke several small holes in the foil. Place the veggies on the foil and grill them, turning occasionally, until tender and lightly charred (about 15 minutes). Remove from the grill and place the vegetables on a baking sheet.
- Make the romesco sauce: Peel the garlic. In a blender or food processor, add the almonds, garlic, tomatoes (including the can juice), 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, and kosher salt. When the vegetables are grilled, remove the pepper slices and place them in the blender. Process the sauce until smooth.
- Make the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the pasta until al dente, then drain.
- Combine the pasta with the romesco sauce and grilled broccoli and onions, then taste and add additional salt as desired (we added about 1/2 teaspoon — for the vegan version, you can add more salt than for the vegetarian version, since feta adds salt). Top with feta crumbles and serve.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/grilled-vegetable-pasta-romesco/