Need vegetarian grill recipes? These simple Greek grilled veggie skewers served over pesto quinoa are a healthy dinner idea ripe for summer.
With summer produce at its absolute peak, we’re firing up our grill more than ever. The dark char of a hot grill is the perfect treatment for veggies of all kinds, not just brats and burgers. And for summer entertaining, there’s not much better than the sultry smell of a grill, a colorful meal al fresco, and a cold glass of brew or rosé. (That’s not hyperbole!) Since we can’t transport you to our actual deck, here’s a sort of virtual summer cookout. We’ve got a menu of vegetarian grill recipes, drink recommendations, and some prep tips. The RoomPlace, a furniture store, was kind enough to sponsor our grilling extravaganza and send us a few indoor and outdoor pieces for our event!
First off, the grilling prep: we set up a grilling station indoors. This was the area for all grilled veggie skewers, including skewer soaking, vegetable and herb chopping, and olive oil drizzling. Why set up an indoor grilling station? Using a designated area keeps everything related to grilling on the prep station, so the mess didn’t creep into the rest of the kitchen (as it always does). This is especially helpful if you’re making other items to go with the grilled portion that use the main portion of your kitchen—and keeps things tidier for when guests arrive.
- Pesto Quinoa
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 zucchini
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounce package halloumi cheese*
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 10 skewers
- Soak the skewers for 1 hour.
- Heat a grill to medium low heat.
- Start the Pesto Quinoa.
- Chop the bell pepper, onion, summer squash, and zucchini into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large bowl with the cherry tomatoes. Chop the mint; save out a pinch for the halloumi (below). In a bowl, toss the vegetables with the mint, 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, and several grinds of black pepper.
- Remove the halloumi from package and drain any excess water, then cut it into 20 cubes (keep them as large as possible). Place the halloumi in a smaller bowl and gently mix with the remaining olive oil, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and the remaining mint.
- Gently thread the halloumi and vegetables on skewers, taking care as the halloumi can break easily.
- Place the skewers on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until tender and charred, about 15 minutes. Remove from the grill and squeeze with juice from a few lemon wedges.
- When ready to serve, place pesto quinoa on a plate and skewers over the top. Serve with additional lemon wedges.
*For vegan, use baby bella mushrooms, combine them with the veggies for flavoring, and add a few extra pinches of kosher salt.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/greek-grilled-veggie-skewers-summer-grilling-menu/