Want pesto but you eat plant based? This vegan cashew pesto has all the goodness of a classic basil pesto…without the cheese.
Want to eat basil pesto, but you eat a plant based diet? Unfortunately that emerald green, classic sauce is traditionally made with Parmesan cheese. It’s not a lot, but it adds a savory flair that’s unmistakable. But can a vegan pesto be done? Just like there is vegan nacho cheese and vegan Parmesan, don’t worry! There is vegan pesto. And it’s darn good, too. Here we’ve used our favorite nuts to whip up a version of vegan cashew pesto: they bring in a Parmesan like quality. And we’ve got a secret ingredient to bring in that cheesy flavor.
Basil pesto is a sauce that originates from Italy. Pesto comes from a word that means pounded, so it can refer to any sauce that is pounded or crushed. There are lots of different types of pesto, but basil pesto remains the most popular pesto in Italy and around the world.
Basil pesto is traditionally made in a mortar and pestle, to grind the ingredients together. You can also make pesto in a blender or food processor. You’ll simply blend up all ingredients, then add the olive oil until the sauce becomes creamy.
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 tablespoon light miso paste
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a small dry skillet, toast the nuts over medium high heat, stirring constantly, for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the nuts to a bowl and allow them to cool slightly. (This step is optional, but brings out a more robust flavor in the nuts.)
- In food processor*, combine all ingredients except the olive oil. Turn on the food processor and gradually pour in the olive oil. Stores for about 1 week in the refrigerator and several months frozen.
*You also can do the same method using a mortar and pestle, adding the basil leaves gradually and crushing them against the sides of the mortar.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/vegan-cashew-pesto/