What to eat after a workout? This post workout protein bowl combines protein and carbohydrates, along with tart cherries, for maximum exercise recovery!
Do you plan the foods you eat after a workout? We hadn’t until now, but we recently learned that to help your muscles and energy recover, you should eat foods that contain both carbohydrates and protein within two hours of your exercise session. Here’s what to eat after a workout, and a great way to do it: this tart cherry protein bowl.
You’ll notice that we’ve used our favorite simple trick in this recipe. Instead of buying flavored, sweetened yogurt, we buy plain yogurt and sweeten it to taste with a little honey or maple syrup. This lets you customize the sweetness to your own preference with a natural sweetener, and avoids any additives in flavored purchased yogurts.
Also of note, the variety of cherries we’ve used here, Montmorency tart cherries, are not sold fresh since the fruits are very delicate when picked. Instead, they’re sold year round in dried, frozen, and juice forms. We also love that the fruit in this recipe is dried, making it an easy pantry meal if you have the yogurt on hand.
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons cashew halves
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 2 to 3 dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 sprinkle of bee pollen, optional
- In a small, dry skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds and cashews until browned and fragrant, stirring often, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Mix the Greek yogurt with the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Roughly chop the cherries and apricots.
- Place the yogurt in a bowl, then sprinkle with all toppings (get creative!).
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/tart-cherry-post-workout-protein-bowl/