This delicious chocolate cherry milkshake is a naturally sweet healthy spin on the standard milkshake, made with frozen cherries and maple syrup.
Growing up, my family tended to reward ourselves with ice cream for making it through a piano or dance recital (my sister or me for performing, my parents for not falling asleep). One of our favorite spots was in downtown Minneapolis: a place called The Malt Shop, which served chocolate malts in gigantic frosted glasses. Nothing felt better post-adrenaline rush than slurping thick frozen goodness through a candy-stripped straw, with some onion rings on the side if I was lucky.
This chocolate cherry milkshake is a healthy-ish whole food version we’ve created based on the old standard. Instead of ice cream, we’ve used frozen Montmorency cherries and milk. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup, there’s a hint of cocoa powder and vanilla. In a frosted milkshake glass with a fancy red-and-white straw, this cherry milkshake is just as good as the real thing.
And for added flair to this cherry milkshake, we created chocolate swirls as a garnish! To make them, simply melt down a bit of dark chocolate, drizzle it onto parchment paper, then freeze it. As a side benefit, it doubles as a cathartic adult art project! Use a few swirls for a garnish, and you can stir the remaining swirls into the milkshake if desired for a bit more chocolate.
- 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 1/2 cups frozen Montmorency cherries, plus 2 cherries for garnish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the chocolate swirls (optional), melt the chocolate by filling a large skillet halfway with water and bringing it to a simmer. Place the chocolate chips in a heat-safe bowl (metal or glass). Once the water is simmering, turn off the heat and place the bowl of chocolate in the water, then stir until it is melted. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then use a spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate onto the paper in random swirl patterns. Place the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze until serving, at least 10 minutes.
- For the milkshakes, in a blender combine frozen Montmorency cherries, cocoa powder, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla extract and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and if desired, stir in chocolate swirls, leaving out 2 for a garnish. Serve immediately, garnished with chocolate swirls and extra frozen cherries.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/chocolate-cherry-milkshakes/