These decadent-tasting chocolate cherry dessert bites are made of clean ingredients: just cocoa, maple, coconut oil, oats, almonds and cherries!
Inspired by that classic combination of sweet cherries and chocolate, we set about to create a healthy vegan dessert that turned into these chocolate cherry dessert bites. Why vegan? We’ve found that you readers love vegan desserts even if you’re not vegan yourself–which is also the case with us. Vegan desserts are also super versatile for serving to all sorts of diets.
This chocolate cherry dessert bites recipe was created especially for Northwest Cherry Growers using frozen sweet cherries. What are sweet cherries? Sweet cherries are cherries of a sweet variety that are typically consumed fresh. There are several varieties of sweet cherries; the most common is Bing. These fresh cherries are quite dark – sometimes almost purple or black. Montmorency tart cherries, also known as sour cherries, are bright red when harvested, and are typically consumed dried, frozen or juiced.
For the crust
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dutch process cocoa powder (baking cocoa)
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch kosher salt
For the topping
- 4 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup frozen sweet cherries (about 5 ounces)
- For the crust: In a food processor, blend the almonds, oats, coconut oil, maple syrup, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and kosher salt for several seconds. Scrape down the bowl, then pulse until evenly chopped and a crumbly mixture forms, scraping down again as necessary. Add wrappers to a muffin tin (optional). Place 1 tablespoon of the crust mixture into each cup and press it down with your fingers, to make 9 in all. Save the remainder of the crust for the topping.
- For the topping: Wash and dry the bowl of the food processor. Then add the cocoa powder, maple syrup, and coconut oil and blend for several seconds until creamy. Using a spoon, place a dollop onto each of the 9 crusts and smooth it out gently.
- Defrost the cherries and gently chop them, then drain of excess liquid. Sprinkle the chopped cherries on top of the chocolate, then add some crust crumbles. (A few crust crumbles may remain, which you can discard.)
- Freeze for 20 minutes to set. Let stand at room temperature for about 10 to 15 minutes to thaw before eating. Store refrigerated.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/chocolate-sweet-cherry-vegan-tarts/